Auld Lang Syne

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Grey days, sunny thoughts

I have spent a large part of today (a very grey and drippy one) reorganizing my poems into a more manageable file system on my computer. It is a job long needing doing and only a fourth done at this juncture. I found a few poems that need more work and I was surprised (pleasantly) to find some I had written that are good enough to send out, but never sent out. It was a little like going through old photo albums.

So I am thinking sunny thoughts about my writing and eager to get back to work on that now that I have recovered from Poetry Month with its myriad of activities. I am digging through the files to find some poems I wrote a while ago that I think will fit into The Boyfriend Project. One in particular is about an experience of taking ballroom dance classes at the community center with a boy named Omar. He and I were partners, arranged by our mothers. I have found him again after many years and we have agreed to "have a dance" at the next class reunion. This project is a ray of sunshine to me and a nice exploration into my coming of age as a sensual being, a person who knows how love goes, both for the good and the not-so-good. Wait until I get to the negative boys... and there are a few. Fortunately the years have softened even the not great experiences.

How lucky I am to have this thing, this "beloved art" to make sense of life. It is a great comfort and a grand passion. Sounds sappy? Not. It is the pulse of it, the flow of electricity it raises, the reason to be sunny even on the greyest of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment