Auld Lang Syne

Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 14 Prompt Foreign Phrase poem

L'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt

(French equivalent of "the early bird gets the worm")

For today, use a foreign phrase in a poem. Make sure the poem does its job exemplifying or explaining the phrase.


Here is one of mine:


Il n’y a pas un chat dans la rue, an aubade


The streets are empty, wind stirs

light against the building where I leave you.

Soon enough cars will shoosh the pavement

and work will begin in every office and shop.

My damp hair will dry in the sun, my wet cheeks too.

No shadows to give up our secrets, whisper our names.

Won’t you promise this is not the end, come to me

again when the light falls behind the city?


If I tell you I cannot go on without you,

will you mock me and say not our arrangement?

Will you sigh and dress more slowly,

send me a ring that was your mother’s —

one meant for your daughter (you have only sons).

The street begins its crawl from darkness

to the light where you fly home to another

and leave me with my cat, our secret, this perfume.



The French phrase means "the street is empty" but literally, there is not a cat in the street"


No comments:

Post a Comment