Auld Lang Syne

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

2am and I'm still at this computer

I am excited and cannot sleep; Red Sox beat the Yankees. But that is not why I am up late. I am in the midst of restructuring my existing web page, creating a new "author page" and am about to get a new laundry room. In the midst of all of this, I am ready to get back to work on submissions. I have a "bucket list" of places I'd like to see my poems and will keep knocking on those doors. I try to submit at least twice a month, an all-day procedure but worth it. The well has been a little dry lately as there is a ton of my work "out there" and no news on any of it yet. But there are amazing things on the immediate horizon, including a book launch for the new book, a couple of readings, a panel discussion/reading. I love doing these. It is so wonderful to hear the poems as they come out of my mouth, so grand to see the faces of those in the audience as they hear them for the first time. I think, other than the writing, the sharing with my poetry group, etc. I love the public readings the most. It is so wonderful to stand in front of a group of people who love poetry and let them hear what I have written. A very wise person once told me that when you read or teach, there is no need to try to please the whole room, because you are really there for ONE person who needs what you have to say. So the excitement, the mystery for me is to look out and imagine who that ONE person is.

Is it YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment